Flan is a sweet, silky rich, creamy dessert made of caramel topping and a custard base; This recipe is made with condensed milk and vanilla. Growing up my grandmother would tell me that the secret was the love, I say nonsense it's the condensed milk!
Servings 8 Servings
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 6 Ea Whole Eggs
- 1 Can Evaporated milk 12oz
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk 14oz
- 14 oz Fresh milk
- 2 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Caramelize ½ cup of sugar in a small heavy skillet.
- Pour into mold and turn the mold around quickly, tilting it from side to side until the mold is coated on the bottom and halfway up the sides. Set aside
- Beat eggs lightly; slowly add 1 cup sugar and beat well until all is dissolved in the eggs.
- Add milk and vanilla; beat about 2 minutes.
- Pour custard mixture into a mold; set the mold in a hot water bath that comes about halfway up the side of the mold.
- Place on the lowest rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Test by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center. Remove when it comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 1 hour.
- invert pan onto a plate with a small ridge so that the caramel will not spill